Buprenorphine is approved for use in both induction and maintenance treatment of opioid dependence.
- Induction you begin your treatment (or restart it if you’ve relapsed) under the supervision of a Health Care Provider. For your first dose, you must be in a moderate state of withdrawal. You work with your doctor to reach a dose of buprenorphine that works for you.
- Maintenance Your provider will help you to transition to the maintenance phase of treatment when you:
- Are no longer experiencing withdrawal symptoms
- Have minimal to no side effects
- Do not have uncontrollable cravings
In the maintenance phase, you may be taking your medication regularly as prescribed. You should comply with all of the elements in your treatment plan including responsibly handling the medication, staying free from illicit drug use, and seeking counseling and/or psychosocial support.
- Medical taper The decision to discontinue therapy with buprenorphine after a period of maintenance should be made as part of a comprehensive treatment plan. It is important that you work with your doctor to determine when the time is right to slowly lower your dose, taking care to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Throughout treatment, you should discuss any concerns you have about relapse with your doctor.
$250 Initial evaluation/Induction
$150 Follow up visits